Kiwi is a unique fruit as its very high in dietary fibre when compared to other fruits and not to forget it is a delicious fruit too. It is rich in dietary fibre;
Let’s explore some of the benefits of eating kiwi fruit:
- Reduces Constipation – Constipation is an adverse condition of bowel irregularity or difficulty in passing stool. Consumption of kiwi fruit can reduce the symptoms of these conditions. It acts as a natural laxative as it is high in dietary fibre.
- Enhances protein digestion – Kiwi contains a compound called actinidin, which can break the protein into a simple form and it becomes easily digestible.
- Improves heart health – Kiwi is one of the heart-friendly fruit. These contain good fat and it can lower the percentage of bad cholesterol in the blood stream. Kiwi usually helps to maintain a healthy heart by;
- Reduce Blood Pressure.
- Kiwi has blood thinning effect, thus lowering the chances of blood clots.
- Improves cholesterol profile.
However, a few people may experience some side effects like –
- Allergy – Kiwi allergy is not severe, but few studies have shown that after consuming kiwi few people developed an allergy. It is characterised by diarrhoea, mouth swelling, itching etc.
- Mouth Irritation – Kiwi fruit can cause mouth irritation. Needle-like calcium oxalate crystals present in kiwi are responsible for this.
- Diarrhoea – Kiwi acts as a natural laxative. However, few people who are sensitive towards natural laxative may develop diarrhoea.
The adverse effects of kiwi are not severe, and it is rare as well. One kiwifruit a day is good for your health, you can add kiwi with oats meal, in fruit salad, it can be added to a smoothie.
If you want to know more about it then write back to us at email@example.com so that our nutritionists can get back to you.
authoritynutrition.com. (n.d.). foods-kiwifruit.