Health Benefits of Magnesium – LeanSpoon Blog
Minerals are one of the most important nutrients for maintaining our health, growth, and development.
Magnesium is one of the essential minerals in the human body. It is involved in biochemical reactions of the body like-
- Energy Creation
- Protein Formation
- Muscle Movements
- Regulating Nervous System.
Important roles of Magnesium
- It may excel exercise performance
Magnesium helps to control blood sugar level in the muscles and dispose of lactic acid, which can build muscles during exercise. Athletes take magnesium supplements to improve their performance. Magnesium also associates in reducing insulin level and regulating stress hormone level.
- It fights against depression
Magnesium plays a crucial role in brain functions. Some researchers believe that inadequate supply of magnesium can lead to depression or other mental disorders.
- It can fight against diabetes
Magnesium has beneficial effects on diabetes. Magnesium can regulate insulin hormone to maintain blood sugar in the blood stream. Low magnesium level of an individual may lead diabetes.
- It can control blood pressure
Recent studies on magnesium state that intake of enough magnesium can control the blood pressure. It has a significant effect on lowering systolic and diastolic pressure.
- It is an anti-inflammatory agent
Inadequate intake of magnesium may lead to metabolic inflammation causing aging, obesity, chronic health hazards etc. It is believed that intake of magnesium can decrease CRP. CRP is Carbon reactive Protein, a substance yield from liver increases the presence of inflammation in the body.
- It can prevent migraines nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light and noise. It is assumed that people who suffer from a migraine are usually deficient in magnesium.
- It improves PMS
Most of the women experience pre-menstrual syndrome. It involves water retention, abdominal cramps, tiredness. Magnesium can decrease water retention.
Sources of Magnesium:
Magnesium is one of the essential minerals for the optimum growth and development for our body. Let us know the best sources of magnesium –
- Seeds – Usually almost all the seeds contain magnesium in various amounts. Pumpkin seeds are the richest sources of magnesium in comparison to other seeds. They are very easy to incorporate in the diet. It can be consumed raw or in a powdered form.
- Spinach- Spinach is very easy to incorporate into your diet like you can make spinach curry, spinach yogurt smoothie, spinach salad etc.
– The nuts can be added into your cereal bowl, smoothie, salad etc.
It is always good to avail nutrients from natural sources rather than supplements. Including magnesium, rich food into the diet can meet the demand of magnesium of the body for the proper metabolic functioning. If you want to know more about it then write back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that our nutritionists can get back to you.
authoritynutrition.com. (n.d.). 10-proven-magnesium-benefits.