Garcinia Cambogia – The popular weight loss supplement.
Garcinia is a very popular weight loss supplement which is known for its nature to help in easy and quick weight loss. Gym goers especially prefer to take this supplement who are looking forward to losing fat and shape up.
It is extracted from a fruit called Garcinia gummi-gutta, also called as Malabar Tamarind. It is usually used as a culinary delight to enhance the delicacy of the meal. However, because of its high contents of enzyme inhibitor hydroxy citric acid, the medicinal value of it came into limelight.
Benefits of Garcinia:
- It will increase the production of a brain chemical Serotonin, which curbs your hunger which will stop you from over-snacking and overeating.
- This supplement is rich in hydroxy citric acid which blocks or inhibits the enzyme citrate lyase which aids in the formation of fat. Thus, taking this supplement will help in avoiding fat gain.
- It helps you absorb glucose into your body in a better way which helps in lowering blood glucose levels. Hence, a person with already low blood glucose levels should not consume it.
- Research also shows that it lowers triglycerides and LDL while increasing HDL levels. That is, it helps in controlling the cholesterol levels.
Caution before using Garcinia:
- Diabetics who are under medication should not take this supplement as it can lower the blood glucose levels dangerously. Lately, a lot of people have been diagnosed with borderline diabetes. It is advisable for them as well, to avoid this supplement.
- Pregnant women, lactating mothers and children of below 16 years are not supposed to take this supplement.
- People who are undergoing weight loss treatments or fat loss treatments and taking medications to lower their cholesterol levels should also not take this supplement.
- Clubbing two or more supplements can complicate your body metabolisms. So, people who are already taking weight loss supplement should pay attention to the instructions written on the bottle before taking the supplement.
- When it comes to dosage, you can check the information provided on the back of the bottle. However, ideally, it is advised to take 2 tablets a day (if they are of 1000 mg) before both lunch and dinner. Research has proven that the chemical Hydroxycitric acid (HCA) that it contains has a profound effect on reducing appetite. Hence taking these tablets before meals will make the user eat less and thus reduce the calorie intake.
- Choosing the right brand of Garcinia supplement is also an important aspect. Many have coupled this ‘hunger quenching supplement’ with other nutrients like calcium or potassium. The pricing also varies from brand to brand depending on the fame of the brand and the additives used. A plain Garcinia Cambogia product would be lower in cost when compared to something that has nutritive additives or green tea extracts, etc., will be costlier. Read through the nutritive value information and food composition information that is given behind the bottle carefully, before you buy the product.
One should pay attention to the caution along with benefits while using this supplement. Consult your doctor/ physician/ dietician before taking the supplements.
Garcinia Cambogia. (n.d.). webmd. Retrieved from Garcinia Cambogia.