Dietary Guidelines for Bariatric Surgery
Obesity is a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may have a negative effect on health. Bariatric surgery helps in weight loss by restricting the portion of the food that stomach can hold. Either the stomach size is reduced with a gastric band or through the removal of a part of the stomach This would not allow you to eat more than your stomach size. Bariatric procedures often cause hormonal changes.
Bariatric surgery is one of the most popular surgeries which people look for to lose instant weight loss. In one go you can shed up to kilos.
Here is a list of few changes which you should make in your diet for pre-surgery:
One-Week Pre-Op Diet-
- Eat protein rich foods- milk, lean meat, tofu, fish, boiled egg white etc.
- Avoid simple carbs and moderately use complex carbohydrate portion in your diet- rice, noodles, pasta, bread, potato, colacasia etc.
- Avoid high sugar content fruits- mango, banana, jackfruit, grapes, lichi
- Escape from all junk foods and beverages- pastry, jam, pizza, burger, cold-drinks, preserved or packed fruit juices etc.
- Dodge all type of fatty foods- pickles, papad, samosa, bhajji etc.
- Allow yourself to keep hydrated- water, fresh fruit juice, buttermilk etc.
- Run away from caffeine and alcohol- coffee, tea, beer, whiskey, wine etc.
24 hours’ pre-op diet will be a clear liquid diet as per your surgeon’s recommendation.
Clear Liquid Diet: water, broth, fresh and strained fruit juices (apple, sweet lime, oranges, coconut water etc.)
Note: you cannot add extra sugar to any of the above.
Here is a list of few changes which you should make in your diet post-surgery:
Post-surgery diet needs to a better care. So, for that consult with a nutritionist (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Before going for the surgery, a full medical profile check-up is advisable. Any abnormalities found in the blood parameter or any organs should be immediately reported to the doctor, to avoid future complications to your health.
- Meet your nutritionist every 15 days to follow a strict pattern in your diet. Send your dietary recall every day to ensure you are in the right path. .
- To keep yourself fit post- surgery exercise is very important. Yoga, free – hand exercises, walking can be done to maintain weight. Post which under a good trainer you may start with high intensity exercises.
Advantages of Bariatric Surgery:
- You will lose 60% of your body weight very quickly and for the lifetime.
- Your food portion also is restricted.
Disadvantages of Bariatric Surgery:
- You might have to be in a hospital for a longer time.
- Should be on vitamin and mineral supplements for a longer time.
Bariatric surgery is an easy way to lose weight but often very difficult to maintain post- surgery. Proper diet and exercise can help you maintain health and weight post- surgery. Always consult your doctor and nutritionist regarding any diet related queries.
asmbs. (n.d.). Bariatric Surgery Procedure. Retrieved from asmbs.