Cerebral Palsy – Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
Have you heard about cerebral palsy? It is a condition that affects the movement in different parts of the body and has much severity in neurological health.
The word cerebral means brain, palsy means paralysis of certain muscles. Cerebral Palsy is a neurological disorder which appears in early childhood.
Infants with cerebral palsy usually have swallowing difficulty and eye muscle imbalance, for this reason, they are unable to focus on the same object.
Symptoms of cerebral palsy include
- Changes in muscle tone, either they can be too stiff or too flexible, stiff muscle is the reason of procuring spasticity.
- Delays in reaching milestones like crawling, walking etc.
- Problem with swallowing.
- Delays in speech development, difficulty in speaking.
- Seizures- It is a sudden shock of electrical activity in the brain by nerves.
Cerebral palsy can affect one side of the body or sometimes the whole body. The symptoms generally do not worsen with age. Brain abnormalities with cerebral palsy may add to other neurological disorders like-
- Difficulty in hearing
- Difficulty to focus on a job
- Mental Health Conditions
Causes of Cerebral Palsy
The cause of cerebral palsy can be an impaired brain development, usually before an infant is born. There are few factors which can cause impaired brain development like;
- Maternal infection during pregnancy can harm the brain development of the fetus.
- Foetal stroke, inadequate supply of blood flow for developing a brain.
- Infection in infants that can lead to inflammation around the brain.
- Lack of oxygen to the brain associated with difficult delivery.
- Traumatic head injury.
Children with cerebral palsy need long-term care with a medical care team. Medicine can control the symptoms of cerebral palsy. Therapies like physiotherapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy, recreational therapy are important for the surrounded recovery to the children with cerebral palsy.
If you have any doubts or concerns, then do write back to us at email@example.com so that our experts can get back to you.
Mayoclinic.com. (n.d.). disease condition cerebral palsy.